Tuesday 25 June 2013

Amir Benayoun Performance at the Cave of the Patriarchs

A few days ago I wrote about the emotional meeting between Amir Benayoun and 85-year-old Shlomo Slonim~Sole surviving son of Eliezer Dan and Hannah Slonim~slain with his brother in the Hevron Massacre of 1929.

Amir was in Hevron for a concert outside Ma’arat HaMachpela. There is nothing like a live concert in the open air~anywhere in Israel~but in front of the Cave of the Patriarchs it is truly an experience. One of the songs Amir Benayoun performed in Hevron on Sunday, was his hit “Standing at the Gate”~which of course was precisely outside the "Ma’arat HaMachpela"~the kever of our Patriarchs. The second video below shows more of the concert, and follows as Amir visits the Ma’arat HaMachpela.

As always the case with live concerts, the crowd knew the words by heart and participated enthusiastically. The song is a cry to the Messiah to come and save the Jewish people and the world (translation below the video)...Enjoy!

Amir Benayoun Concert at  the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hevron


Here is a Rough Translation (From Arutz7):
I heard that you are coming back all the way
I saw angels preparing the table for the son of the King
I saw a ladder, too, ascending and descending
I heard wind touching the leaves
I saw you, it was not a delirium
I heard that the sea declared a joyous day
I saw the stars and moon dancing
They, too, know how to roll back
I heard that the sun is in fact a shadow
I saw a tower shake and fall

(Chorus)
Come, we have been waiting for you for too many years
We have become mad, we have lost our visage
We are simply withering away, so come
Yes, come, there are no more vessels* for us to break
We do not know who is sober
and who is drunk, and falling into the well, as it happens
So come, yes come
I heard that you are really standing at the gate
and that every innocent lamb will be able to live in the forest, and I heard
that this heart, too, will not die anymore
Imagination will sign a peace treaty with reality
All the sounds will be one simple song
Come, we have been waiting for you...
(*A kabalistic allusion)                                                                                             


More of Amir Benayoun in Hevron
 

No comments:

Israel, Jerusalem, Judaism, Zionism, Middle East, Aliyah, Conversion, and everything else that pops up